'¢ Congress President appoints Charan Das Mahant as acting PCC Chief
'¢ Party undeterred by violent attack
'¢ We will form next government in Chhattisgarh
Less than a fortnight after the brutal Naxal attack on Congressmen in Chhattisgarh, the Congress Party in the state is back on its feet, and the state leadership has vowed to carry forward the work started by their slain comrades. The Union minister of state for Agriculture and Food Processing, Charan Das Mahant, has been appointed as acting president of Chhattisgarh Congress by Congress President Sonia Gandhi.
The sacrifices of Congress leaders in Bastar's Naxal attack would not go in vain and Congress would win the Assembly polls slated for year end, Das said, shortly after his appointment. "Martyrdom of late PCC chief Nand Kumar Patel and other party leaders would not go in vain. We will continue his (Patel's) efforts to form Congress government in the state and will definitely make the government after the next Assembly polls," Mahant told journalists in Raipur on Monday.
Visiting the state the morning after the Naxal attack, Shri Rahul Gandhi had said that despite the attack the Party was determined to carry on the political process of engaging with the people of Chhattisgarh.
Mahant on Monday reiterated that the Party would continue with the process of political engagement. He thanked the Party leadership for giving him the state unit charge and that further strategies of the party will be chalked out soon. "I am heartily thankful to Congress President Sonia Gandhi and Vice President Rahul Gandhi for giving me a crucial charge in such a situation. Further strategies will be worked out very soon" Mahant said.
As a first step, the party has decided to re-start its Parivartan Yatra once again from Kesulpur village.
The Parivartan Yatra got a massive jolt during its journey towards Kesulpur village in Jagadalpur. The Secretary in charge of Chhattisgarh Congress, B.K. Hariprasad, in a press conference, said, 'We will start the Parivartan Yatra very soon, from the very same place where we had left'. The Yatra will come to an end in Raipur as previously planned.
The Congress secretary told that the Yatra will commence afresh from Kesulpur. Hariprasad also had a meeting with the senior Congress leaders; district Congress presidents, members of block level and secretaries, and other leaders and workers of the Congress party to discuss the finer details of the Parivartan Yatra.
Revival of the Yatra from the same place where it was stopped will send an unambiguous message to the Naxals -- the Congress party will not be cowed down by violence or be deterred from its path of bringing peace and democracy to the trouble-torn areas of Chhattisgarh. The move will also come as a shot in the arm of the party workers whose morale had taken a hit in the wake of the brutal attack by the Naxalites that all but wiped out the state Congress leadership.
On 25th of May, the Naxalites mounted an assault on a convoy of Congress leaders and party workers who were taking part in the Parivartan Yatra. More than 250 Naxalites armed to the teeth ambushed the convoy, killing 30 people and leaving several critically injured.
Meanwhile, it has been decided that on June 6th, all the party workers at their respective district headquarters will gather and pay homage to Nand Kumar Patel, his son Dinesh Patel, Mahendra Varma and Udai Mudaliyar, along with those who lost their lives in the naxalite attack. On 7th of June, homage to the martyrs will be paid at block level across the state.
The Congress Party had started the Parivartan Yatra from 12th April. The journey of 3843 kilometres is scheduled to conclude on 9th June at Raipur.