In a press briefing, former Union Minister and National Spokesperson for the Indian National Congress Manish Tewari talked about the news report that exposed an alleged kickback that involved Ministry of Defence officials. In late 2014 when NDA was in office, a contract was signed between India’s Ministry of Defence and Ukraine’s Spetstechnoexport and in spite of the contract not being fulfilled, both parties signed completion statements. The National anti-Corruption Bureau of Ukraine alleges that the amount of $ 2.6 million (17.55 crores) was transferred to another company to a bank account in UAE.
Mr. Tewari put five questions to the government of India and the Defence Minister Nirmala Sitharaman:
1. Has the National Criminal Investigation Bureau of Ukraine asked the government of India/Ministry of Home Affairs/Ministry of Defence for legal assistance?
2. Were the terms of the contract not fulfilled and yet the Ministry of Defence signed a certificate of completion leading to the facilitation of this kickback?
3. What has the response of the Ministry of Defence and Ministry of Home been so far to the request of the Ukrainian government?
4. Has any internal process been initiated by the Ministry of Defence to get to the bottom of this matter?
5. If this government believes in transparency then why have these facts been hidden from the people?
In the same press briefing, MP Pramod Tiwari spoke about the results of the by-polls. After four years of the BJP, the people are showing what they really think of the party. Across the country, there have been elections – 4 for Lok Sabha and 11 for the Vidhan Sabha. Most of these were previously won by the BJP or one of its alliance partners, but today the country is telling a different story. The BJP’s lies and betrayals are becoming obvious to the people of the country.